Hannah Webber fears she will never be a mother, but her prayers are finally answered when she gives birth to a son. In an era of high-stakes parenting, nurturing Sam’s intellect becomes Hannah’s life purpose. She invests body and soul into his development, much to the detriment of her marriage. She convinces herself, however, that Sam’s acceptance at age fourteen to the most prestigious of New England boarding schools overseen by an illustrious headmaster, justifies her choices.
When he arrives at Dunning, Sam is glad to be out from under his mother’s close watch. And he enjoys his newfound freedom—until, late one night, he stumbles upon evidence of sexual misconduct at the school and is unable to shake the discovery.
Both a coming-of-age novel and a portrait of an evolving mother-son relationship, The Nine is the story of young man who chooses to expose a corrupt world operating under its own set of rules—even if it means jeopardizing his mother’s hopes and dreams.
- “A helicopter mom turns out to be no match for a well-funded conspiracy; engaging, with a likable young protagonist.” —KIRKUS
- “I felt this book in my soul… [O]ne of the best descriptions in literature of a mother’s changing relationship with her husband, her son, and herself.” —THE NERD DAILY
- “Blasberg has a knack for pulling readers in…” —BOOK TRIB
- “The Nine is an absorbing novel… a mix of coming of age school drama with sinister adult conspiracy and intrigue.” —READERS’ FAVORITE
— The Nine is one of those suspenseful, highly addictive novels that keeps you saying, “just one more chapter” until suddenly you’ve stayed up all night to finish it. Hannah and Sam – the tenacious, devoted mother and her humble, endearing son – make an irresistible team as they take on the dark narcissism and systemic exploitation of an elite world that attempts to break them. I love this book’s iconoclastic impulse and its ultimate faith in the values of work over privilege, and love over loyalty.
Christopher Castellani, author of Leading Men
Awards for The Nine
- Winner: 2020 Foreword INDIES Book Gold Award for Thriller and Suspense
- Winner: 2020 National Indie Excellence Awards for Contemporary Fiction and Juror’s Choice
- Winner: 2020 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Second Place Award for General Fiction
- Winner: 2019 Beverly Hills Book Awards for Literary Fiction and Regional Fiction – Northeast
- Finalist: 2020 International Book Awards in Literary Fiction
- Finalist: 2020 Reader’s Favorite Book Awards in General Fiction
- Finalist: 2019 Beverly Hills Book Award for General Fiction
- Finalist: 2019 Chanticleer International Book Awards Somerset Award