Home for the Holidays: Parenting in the College Years
My last two blog posts covered far-reaching trips I’ve recently taken to Africa and South America. When people asked me what our plans were for this holiday season, I think they were expecting a more exotic reply, but I was happy to answer, “A good ‘ol family staycation…” The two kids that are still in college requested that we don’t go anywhere this year, and John and I were more than happy to oblige.
The lack of plans allowed them to spend time with high school friends as well as for us to visit with other families in Boston. Yes there are dentist appointments in the mix,…. but here are some highlights of our staycation:
· Home cookin’….. after months at college, the kiddoes are craving family classics
· Lighting our menorah – first time in a long time kids are home for all nights of Hanukah
· Shabbat dinners – Jack, our son in the workforce and Emily, his girlfriend, will be able to join us on 12/30!
· Fires in the fireplace
· Chinese Food (when we’re not home cookin’)
· Family squash /yoga / soul cycle
· Going to the movies – “Lalaland” was great, next up “Office Christmas Party” and “Star Wars”
· Playing hearts at the kitchen table
· Rocking to The Roots at the House of Blues
· Going to the TD Garden to watch the Celtics and the Bruins
Best of all, time for reading – I’m reading Heat & Light by Jennifer Haigh – which I am loving. Jennifer will be joining our book group for a special dinner party in early January !!
…AND writing! I set a goal of finishing a manuscript by the end of 2016 and I’ll be damned, with some late nights, I am going to make it! So after you wet your appetite with EDEN, you shouldn’t have to wait too long….
If you are enjoying your own staycation this week, I would love to hear your highlights…
Melody Beatty’s daily meditation in Journey to the Heart for December 26 gets to the core of it:
We search for sacred spaces, spiritual
experiences, and truths. But the holiest
places are often found when we spend
time with people we love.
May your home be the sanctuary you crave.
Love and Peace in 2017